Inauguration of the Lohja campus: “An excellent environment kindles the joy of learning”
Laurea University of Applied Sciences has a new campus in Lohja, which was festively inaugurated on Tuesday, 1 October.
Laurea’s new unique Lohja campus, located in a shopping centre, has provided teaching since August. Now the new facilities have been officially opened in the presence of invited guests.
Tuomo Puumala, State Secretary to Hanna Kosonen, Minister of Science and Culture, brought the greetings of the Ministry of Education and Culture to the event, held on Tuesday, 1 October:
- Establishing a higher education campus in a shopping centre is a brilliant idea, and I hope this excellent environment will kindle the joy of learning in everyone, said Puumala.
State Secretary Puumala also complimented Laurea on its local activities:
- I believe that Laurea’s new facilities solution will enable collaborative development of new innovations together with businesses, as well as new encounters and cross-pollination between different fields of study, he said.
Openness creates opportunities for cooperation
According to Jouni Koski, President and CEO of Laurea, the impressive and modern new campus in Lohja means a lot to Laurea’s students and staff, who have truly earned the new facilities after a decade of waiting.
The new campus is centrally located, has excellent transport connections and immediate access to the diverse services of the shopping centre. Openness and the resulting opportunities for cooperation played a big role in the design of the campus:
- I believe that the central location and the new campus solution integrated into the shopping centre will further strengthen our active cooperation in the Western Uusimaa region, Koski adds.
“University of Applied Sciences education is of great value to the region”
In his speech, the Mayor of Lohja, Mika Sivula, emphasised the evolving cooperation between Laurea and the town of Lohja, as well as the significance of Laurea in the Western Uusimaa region overall:
- Laurea educates professionals needed by both businesses and the town of Lohja: nurses and experts in social services and business administration, said Mayor Sivula.
- Laurea is the only post-secondary educational institution in Lohja. That is why we have made major efforts to enable Laurea to operate and, most importantly, to develop and strengthen in Lohja.