Introduction to Data Economy
Learn the basics of using data in decision making and developing businesses!
- Application period: 21.5.-26.11.2023
- Date: 1.6.-31.12.2023
- Scope: 1 ECTS
- Location: Online
- Price: Free (0€)
This fully online MOOC course introduces you to the basics of using data to develop business operations. The course is organized in our web platform and you can study in our own pace. The scope is one credit, which is equivalent of 27 hours of studying.
This course introduces you to the idea concept of applying data in decision making in organizations. You will learn where you can gather data from and learn how to use it in different business operations. You will learn about big data, Internet of Things and digital platforms and APIs.
After completing the course, you will know ho to identify the role of information in a value creation process. identify key business models enabled by digital data. You will learn a few “no-code” ways of experimenting with data products to validate the business model. Finally, you will also learn the effects of privacy regulations on data economy.
The course consists of four modules:
- Data economy in brief
- Data sources and business models
- Role of information in value creation
- Next steps in data economy
In order to pass the course, you need to pass each quiz with a 50% grade. Additionally, remember to mark each lesson completed in order to pass the course
This course has been produced in cooperation with Osaango Oy. Lecturers on the videos are experts in data economy.
Skills you will gain
- Explain why organizations need to apply data in decision making
- Explain where the data comes from and how it can be used (buying, selling, collecting data, big data from IoT, digital platforms and APIs, machine learning and AI vs. statistical methods)
- Identify the role of information in a value creation process
- Identify key business models enabled by digital data
- List a few “no-code” ways of experimenting with data products to validate the business model
- Summarize how intellectual privacy regulations shape the data economy
This course is coordinated by Laurea's MOOC team. Should you have questions about the course, please direct all inquiries to email@example.com. Please allow for a few working days for a response. Our response time may be longer during holidays.