Effective Writing in English
Develop your writing skills in general and academic contexts and learn to write more accurately and with an awareness of the correct style and layout.
Apply if you want to improve your English writing skills!
- Kohderyhmä: People who want to improve their English writing skills and have their own language skill level of B2
- Hakuaika: 9.12.2020-4.1.2021
- Ajoitus: 18.01.2021 - 26.04.2021
- Laajuus: 5 ECTS
- Sijainti: Online
- Hinta: 75 €
Students should be at least at level B2 according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
Study unit's learning outcomes
The student is able to:
- develop writing skills in general and academic contexts, including essays, summaries and reports
- write more accurately and with an awareness of the correct style and layout
- avoid plagiarism by paraphrasing and using sources in the appropriate manner
- diagnose and remedy personal weaknesses in writing ability
Online implementation through Canvas. Students complete three - four writing assignments during the study unit.
Peer and teacher feedback is given on intermediate drafts of written work. Some lessons are live lessons via Zoom, and some are available as Zoom recordings. You should keep all announced lesson times available for course work.
Study material in Canvas:
- Bailey, S. 2011. Academic writing: a handbook for international students. 3rd edition. London: Routledge.
- Björk, L. & Räisänen, C. 1997. Academic writing. 2nd edition. Lund: Studentliteratur.
- McLean, S. 2010. Business English for Success. Arlington, Virginia: Saylor Academy.
The student needs to have completed the mandatory English language study unit, Professional Communication in English or equivalent, prior to taking this study unit.
- Active participation
- Oral and written assignments
Zoom online lectures:
- 18.01.2021 16.00 - 18.00
- 01.02.2021 16.00 - 18.00
- 15.02.2021 16.00 - 18.00
- 01.03.2021 16.00 - 18.00
- 15.03.2021 16.00 - 18.00
- 29.03.2021 16.00 - 18.00
- 12.04.2021 16.00 - 18.00
- 26.04.2021 16.00 - 18.00