Learn the key concepts and methods of service design, be part in designing a new service and final service concept!
- Target audience: People who are interested in service design
- Application period: 9.12.2020-15.2.2021
- Date: 1.3.-9.5.2021
- Scope: 10 ECTS
- Location: Online or Leppävaara
- Price: 150 €
Study unit's learning outcomes
The student is able to
- describe how value is createdfor the customers through service
- recognize the essence of Service Design thinking and methods
- plan, implement and evaluate a Service Design projectusing service design methods
- apply creative problem-solving and develop working methods individually and in teams
- foster entrepreneurship through service design
The study unit will consist of two parts: The theory Part 1 (3 ects) and the project Part 2 (7 ects). Part 1 needs to be completed before starting the Part 2.s
THEORY PART 1
The theory part covers service design process (Double Diamond), methods and tools, and includes various tasks and tests to be taken individually. All tests can be taken at the student's own pace and need to be passed. Will be implemented fully online during 1.3. - 6.4.
The studies consist mostly of self-paced and individual assignments.
PROJECT PART 2
The project offers an opportunity to apply the theoretical knowledge in practice. The hands-on design sprint will follow the same process and utilizing methods and tools studied in the theory part. Part 2is an intensive practice-based work in teams during 19.4. - 6.5.
The intensive days will take place at Leppävaara campus but online participation will also be possible.
The workshop days in Leppävaara or in Zoom will be held daily at 10 - 16 as follows:
19. - 20.4. Orientation, project kick-off, teaming
26. - 30.4. Project sprint
5. - 6.5. Pitch rehearsals, final presentations for the partner
The workshop days in Leppävaara:
- 19.04.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 20.04.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 26.04.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 27.04.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 28.04.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 29.04.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 30.04.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 05.05.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- 06.05.2021 10.00 - 16.00
- Stickdorn, M., Lawrence, A. and Hormess, M., Schneider, J. 2018.This is service design doing : applying service design thinking in the real world : a practitioner's handbook.Canada: O'Reilly. Ebook. Ebook: https://laurea.finna.fi/Search/Results?lookfor=this+is+service+design+doing&type=AllFields
- Knapp, J., Zeratsky, J.,Kowitz, B. 2016. Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and test new ideas in Just Five Days. Simon & Schuster Paperbacks.
Individual assignments, Quizzes and other individual tasks in Canvas, scale 1-5
Team assignment: service concept and service design portfolio, scale 1-5
Self- and peer assessment, instructor assessment.