Tuition fees and grants
Non-EU/EEA area students who have been selected through the Finnish joint application for admission to degree programmes taught in English starting from 1.8.2017 onwards will be charged tuition fees.
Tuition fees and grants for non-EU/EEA area degree students
This page has been specifically designed for students who are liable to pay fees in accordance with the new legislation which came into effect on the 1st of January 2016. Non-EU/EEA area students who have been selected through the Finnish joint application for admission to degree programmes taught in English starting from 1.8.2017 onwards will be charged tuition fees. The tuition fees concern non-EU/EEA applicants who have received admission in year 2017 and onwards to the degree programmes taught in English. The Laurea degree programmes taught in Finnish do not have tuition fees.
According to Section 13a of the Polytechnics Act, universities of applied sciences are to charge a yearly tuition fee from non EU/EEA students admitted to programmes leading to a bachelor's or master's degree in a language other than Finnish or Swedish.
The university itself may decide on the size of this fee and the arrangements for its collection. The same Act also states that the university of applied sciences is to have a grant system in place for supporting students participating in fee-charging degree programmes. The goal is to both advance the Higher Education Institutions’ opportunities for education export and also expand their funding base. The introduction of tuition fees puts greater emphasis on educational quality as a competitive factor.
However, the law regarding the payment of tuition fees has also some special exceptions in it, as not all non EU/EEA students are liable to fees. Therefore, prospective students intending to study in the degree programmes offered in English are advised to check their status below under "Exemptions and remission of tuition fees".
We reserve the right to make changes.
Tuition fees for non EU/EEA students
Laurea offers nine degree programmes taught in English, six of those programmes are at bachelor level and the remaining three are master’s degrees. From 1.8.2017 onwards, non EU/EEA students selected for admission for degree programmes taught in English through the joint national application will be liable to the following fees below.
Bachelor's Degree Programme
Business Information Technology EUR 8000 / academic year Service Business Management EUR 8000 / academic year Nursing EUR 8000 / academic year Restaurant Entrepreneurship EUR 8000 / academic year Safety, Security and Risk Management EUR 8000 / academic year Social Services EUR 8000 / academic year
Master's Degree Programme
Global Health and Crisis Management EUR 10000 / academic year Service Innovation and Design EUR 10000 / academic year Leading Transformational Change EUR 10000 / academic year
Non EU/EEA citizens intending to study in the degree programmes offered in English are advised to check their status below under "passport/residence permit for remission of tuition fee" to see if they qualify for exemption from fees. In the aforementioned section, a list of conditions for exemption has been compiled for you as well as reliable links where factual information can be gathered before applying for a tuition fee waiver.
For more information on EU/EEA countries, please see the list compiled by the Finnish Immigration Service.
All rights reserved.
Exemptions and remission of tuition fees
Laurea University of Applied Sciences tuition fees are due in advance. Therefore, it is highly recommended for a non-EU/EEA degree student who will start their studies in an English-taught Bachelor's or Master's degree programme in August 2017 or after, to send a copy of the document which they will use as basis for exemption from fees to the Admission Services of his/her first choice institution of higher education during the application period. The valid document proving exemption from tuition fees for the academic year must be presented before enrolling for each academic year during studies.
Conditions for exemption
The fees will not concern those non-EU/EEA students who have started their studies at Laurea before 1.8.2017 and study in degree programmes taught in Finnish or Swedish. The fees also do not concern those non-EU/EEA students who have started studies in Laurea in 2016 or earlier. Furthermore, non EU/EEA citizens are exempted from paying tuition fees if they are in possession of any of the following documents mentioned below:
- Passport or a valid national identity card to indicate the citizenship of EU/EEA/Switzerland
- EU Blue Card residence permit in Finland
- Continuous residence permit in Finland, A-type permit
- Permanent residence permit in Finland, P-type permit
- EU residence permit for third-country citizens with long-term residence in Finland (type P-EU)
- Residence card in Finland for non-EU family members of EU citizens. Family membership is defined as stipulated in the Aliens Act.
The document for exemption is considered valid for the academic year if the the document is valid August 1st of the said academic year.
In order to smoothen the process for receiving the waiver and for administrative purposes, a checklist for the tuition fee waiver has been compiled for you below.
Checklist for tuition fee waiver application:
- 1. Check criteria for exemption above or visit Studyinfo.fi for more elaborate information
- 2. **Submit a copy of your residence permit card to the admission services during the application period.
**A field in the online application has been included for applicants concerning the tuition fee waiver declaration. The aforementioned section of the application is not a mandatory requirement but it is highly recommended for non EU/EEA applicants applying for higher education in Finland. Applicants affected by fees can decide on their own accord to fill in information that they would like to be considered for exemption from paying fees in accordance with the guidelines given for exemption in the polytechnic act, if they fit the criteria.
Kindly note that the same information can also be submitted to the admission services anytime during the application period no later than the deadline given for confirming the study place. In the event that one receives an unwarranted tuition fee invoice when admitted, the applicant can still submit the required attachments to apply for a tuition fee waiver. This should be done as soon as the notification of admission has been received possibly latest before confirming the study place. Admission is conditional until the admission services has checked all relevant documents as well as valid identification (passport).
We reserve the right to make changes
Payment terms, Student agreement & Default
Applicants who are required to pay the tuition fee will receive an invoice for the first year tuition fee together with the notification of conditional admission. A student is expected to pay tuition fees before beginning each academic year. For first year students the tuition fee must be paid when accepting the study place.
Applicants who have received the invoice with the notification of admission must pay the fee by the given deadline (8th July 2019 or later when applicable) together with the study place confirmation. The Student must also register at Laurea following the procedures and timetable set forth by Laurea, after which he or she will be entered on the list of students. The Student must register themselves as present or absent each academic year in compliance with the regulations set by Laurea. For tuition fee paying students the registration for the academic year is valid after payment of the tuition fee for the said academic year has been made. Failure to register for the academic year results in loss of study entitlement at Laurea.
The admission of a tuition fee liable student is conditional until they have confirmed their study place, paid the first year tuition fee, registered for the academic year, signed the Student Agreement and also until Laurea has received the receipt of the tuition fee and checked the applicant’s original education and/or work certificates used as the basis for the application.
Laurea University of Applied Sciences will withdraw admission, if the applicant does not provide the above mentioned education and/or work certificate documents by the given deadline or if the applicant has given false information.
The Laurea student agreement and instructions for payment will be sent to those admitted applicants who are liable to pay tuition fees. The method of payment is bank transfer and instructions for this will be stated on the invoice received upon admission.
Kindly note:- The payment of tuition fees coincides with the confirmation of the study place. Admitted students are, therefore, advised to keep in mind the deadline given for confirming the study place. The nominal deadline for confirming the study place as well as effecting payment is the 8th of July 2019 or later when applicable (for example when accepted from the waiting list or supplementary application period). The tuition fees must be paid in full for the whole academic year and proof of payment (a receipt of the payment) must be submitted to the admissions office together with the study place confirmation form.
We reserve the right to make changes.
Please notice, the tuition fee covers only tuition for the degree programme in question in Laurea UAS. It does not include Health Insurance costs or costs needed for the residence permit application process. For the residence permit, student is obliged to have sufficient funds to cover living in Finland as required by the Finnish Immigration Service. These funds are not included in the tuition fee payment. For more information visit the webpage of Finnish Immigration Service.
The tuition fee does not cover other living costs or traveling costs either which admitted students need to cover themselves. Laurea UAS does not have its own student dormitories or other housing for students. Students are responsible for acquiring accommodation for the studies.
Available Grants and Conditions 2019
Grants are intended for students paying yearly tuition fee in accordance with the grant fund regulations. The grants are provided to students applying for them provided that the student has completed at least 60 credits of studies that count towards their degree programme in the previous academic year ending on 31st July. The size of any grant is to be at most equivalent to 10% of the yearly tuition fee. Please see full text on the grant conditions below.
Laurea University of Applied Sciences yearly tuition fee and grant practices 1st August 2017 onwards
Section 1. Yearly tuition fee and studies
- Tuition fees have been set in line with the Board of Laurea University of Applied Sciences's decision of 10th June 2016.
- During the application period, the applicant required to pay tuition fees encloses with their application the required documents and any document releasing them from the tuition fee (residence permit).
- Together with the offer of a study place, the accepted applicant is sent a study place acceptance form and a bill for the yearly tuition fee. The yearly tuition fee is paid when the offer is accepted, and the payment must be made by the deadline for accepting the study place.The accepted applicant returns the study place acceptance form and attaches a receipt of the fee payment.
- If the applicant's status changes during the application process — but before acceptance of the study place — such that he or she is no longer required to pay the fee, the applicant must make notification of this and provide documentary evidence (residence permit) without delay. The notification must be made no later than the point when the study place is accepted. If the Student does not pay the tuition fee or provide the documentary evidence for exemption from tuition fees by the given deadline, his or her study entitlement will be cancelled. If the study entitlement is cancelled due to reasons caused by the student, the paid tuition fee will not be refunded.
- When accepting the study place, the student signs an agreement with Laurea University of Applied Sciences which lays out responsibilities and obligations.
- If the fee-paying student does not receive a residence permit to study in Finland, the paid tuition fee is reimbursed. If the study entitlement is cancelled due to reasons caused by the student, the paid tuition fee will not be refunded.
- If the student does not pay the tuition fee or present a valid document exempting from tuition fees for the academic year in question by the given deadline, the study right will be cancelled.
- If the study right is cancelled due to reasone cause by the student, the tuition fee will not be refunded.
- In the subsequent years of study, the student pays the yearly tuition fee before the year's studies begin when registering as present for the coming year. The deadline for this is 31st July.
- If the applicant's status changes such that he or she is no longer required to pay the fee, the applicant is to make notification of this change of status, submitting an account of the matter with any necessary enclosed documents (residence permit) to the Student Affairs Office before the end of the enrolment period. Loss of one's residence permit partway through one's studies does not result in reimbursement of the yearly tuition fee.
- If the Student’s residence permit application is pending (and there is no valid residence permit exempting from fees) he or she is required to pay the tuition fee. If the student receives a residence permit which exempts the student from paying tuition fees, the tuition fee payment for the next semester will be reimbursed.
- When studies are nearing completion, if the Student has less than 30 credits remaining, the student can make an application based on which a 50% yearly tuition fee can be charged instead. The Head of student affairs makes the decision. If in the above case the Student does not graduate during the intended semester, a fee is charged for each semester during which the study entitlement is in effect.
- A student registering as absent for statutory reasons or his or her own reason may request the reimbursement of the yearly tuition fee for the period when he or she will not be able to study during the academic year in question. Applications are handled on a case-by-case basis.
If the student registers as absent for the academic year for statutory reasons or his her own reason, the student is not required to pay the fee the academic year in question. A student cn register as absent based on own reasons for a amximum of one academic year or two academic semesters.
- The tuition fee paying student who has been granted admission and has paid the fee who has not started studies by 20th September can start the studies in the next semester starting from 7th January. The tuition fee payment for the first semester will be reimbursed. The semester will be taken into consideration if the student applies for an extension to his her study entitlement period.
- If the fee paying student has not paid the tuition fee by the deadline 31st July or has not provided a document exempting from tuition fees for the said academic year by the same deadline, the student will lose hos/her study entitlement. A student who has los their study entitlement can apply for the re-establishment of his her study entitlement after the student has paid the tuition fee(8000 eur or 10000 eur) as well as the fee for re-establishing study entitlement (50 eur). The decision for whether or not the study entitlement will be re-established will made by the head of student affairs. If the decision to re-establish the student's study entitlement for the acadmeic year is negative, the paid tuition fee for the said academic year will be reimbursed.
Section 2. Criteria for approval of grants
- Grants are intended for students paying yearly tuition fee in accordance with section 4 (see below) of the grant fund regulations.
- The grants are provided to students applying for them provided that the student has completed at least 60 credits of studies that count towards their degree programme in the previous academic year ending on 31st July.
- It is possible to offer a student a 100% study grant where no payment of fees is required provided that the student:
- fulfills the conditions of section 4 and;
- studies at a partner university of Laurea University of Applied Sciences and;
- is studying a Double Degree programme and will obtain a degree also from Laurea University of Applied Sciences
Section 3. Size of grants
- The size of any grant is to be at most equivalent to 10% of the yearly tuition fee, except for the Double Degree students mentioned in the previous section.
Section 4. Application, processing and approval of grants
- Grant applications are made using the form provided by Laurea. The Head of student affairs processes the applications and makes the proposal for positive or negative decision and the CEO makes the decision. The Student Affairs Office provides any needed advice on application procedures.
- For each academic year the student may make one grant request, which must be submitted by 15th October.
- The grant is paid latest by 31st October to the bank account given by the applicant.
- Graduated students may apply within one month of graduating for a grant for the tuition fee from the previous year or academic year. Such grants for graduated students are paid no later than two weeks after the decision on the grant application is made.
We reserve the right to make changes.
Online tuition fee payment system (Paytrail)
The Laurea tuition fee payment should be made with our Paytrail payment system.
The tuition fee must be paid in its entirety for a full academic year. The fees can be paid with the most common credit cards, MasterCard, Visa, or American Express. Laurea UAS will cover possible transaction fees. Payments via Paytrail are also possible through bank transfer if you already have a Finnish bank account and bank codes.
In the online payment system you must give the following information:
- select the degree programme
- your name and e-mail address
- payer's information
After you have provided the information in the payment form, select Save, after which you will be transferred to the Paytrail service. After successful payment, you will receive a confirmation e-mail.
If you are unable to make the payment with the Paytrail e-service
- please contact Laurea Admissions (firstname.lastname@example.org) and request for a tuition fee invoice.
Living in Finland
General information about living and studying in Finland.
Read more about living in Finland
This page contains information about the different accommodation options for students studying on different Laurea campuses.
Read more about housing in Finland
Frequently asked questions about applying to Laurea
Laurea Admission Services are here to help with any questions regarding application. A compilation of the most frequently asked questions and their answers are found here.
Each university of applied sciences determines the selection methods to be used for each degree programme and allocates the number of places to each selection method.