Prerequisites for this course is that you have already completed 10 cr in Finnish or otherwise acquired basic skills. The starting level of Finish on this course is A1.2.
- Application period: 09.06.2021 - 16.8.2021
- Date: 30.08.2021-03.12.2021
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Laurea Leppävaara
- Price: 75 €
Content of the course
In this course you will practicing Finnish small talk (colloquial Finnish), studying vocabulary and describing one's home country as well as you will learning grammar (negative past tense, past perfect, pluperfect, more expressions of time, adjective comparison). In addition you will expressing your opinion - agreeing and disagreeing and learning dates and ordinal numbers in Finnish.
Enrol for this course if you have already a basic skills in Finnish language. The starting level of Finnish is A1.2 on this course.
This course held at the Leppävaara campus. (Notice! Due to the corona situation, at least some of the classes may be in zoom).
The course will be held on weekly basis (once a week, 3 lessons). Course ends around the middle of December.
The student is able to
- interact in various social situations
- develop her/his Finnish skills independently
- understand Finnish lifestyle and Finns more deeply
- use most frequent grammar structures to convey their message in spite of possible mistakes
- reach the target level A1.3-A2.1 in the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages
According to Laurea mathematics, 5 credits requires a workload of 135 hours. About 40-45 of them will be used for weekly lessons in classroom. Homework and home studies will take the rest of the hours, however, it may vary depending on students' personal activeness, skills and goals.
Please note that you have to be present at the 1st session or inform the teacher in advance on your absence. Otherwise they may loose their place at the course. Required attendance is 70 % of the lessons which means that the students are allowed to be absent max 2 times during the autumn term. Full attendance is recommended, though!
- The materials is available in Canvas.
- The students have to copy or print out the materials themselves.
- Study material can be printed out in Canvas at "Intermediate Finnish" work space after the course has started.
- Master copy is also available in the Laurea Leppävaara library (Ask the staff for teachers' materials!). It has about 35 pages and is called "Intermediate Finnish".
The course will be evaluated on a scale of fail to 5. The final course grade consists of:
- the results of and oral exam
- the results of an written exam
- active participation during the lessons and - attendance/absence.
- Please note that the students are allowed to be absent max 2 times during the autumn term. Full attendance is recommended, though!