Professional Communication in English
In this course you will learn professional communication in English, including intercultural and interpersonal communication and common business terms.
Students need to have passed the initial language proficiency test or have equivalent language skills prior to taking this course
- Application period: 30.03.2021-25.04.2021
- Date: 01.05.2021-31.08.2021
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Laurea Verkkokampus
- Price: 75 €
The course is online in Zoom and Canvas learning platform.
The student is able to
- communicate as a professional in field-specific tasks and intercultural contexts
- produce effective spoken and written texts using an appropriate style and register
- demonstrate knowledge of essential terminology needed in working life
- apply principles of interpersonal and organizational communication
The course will contain work on the following themes:
- Intercultural communication and communication style
- Communication strategies in spoken and written communication
- Buidling rapport in interpersonal communication
- Communicating effectively and persuasively in presentations, meetings and negotiations
- The use of style and register in spoken and written texts
- Review of common business terms
5 ECTS = 135 hours of work
- approx. 35 hours in Zoom class
- 100 hours of independent study
As this is a communications course, compulsory attendance (75%) during the whole course is expected.
Students need to have passed the initial language proficiency test prior to taking this course.
Teacher Kirsi Kiiveri, email@example.com, puh. +358 50 303 3651.
All needed material in Canvas learning platform.
The course will be evaluated on a scale of 1 to 5 / fail.
The final grade is based on the following:
- Vocabulary test 20%, 1 ECTS
- Spoken communication 40%, 2 ECTS
- Written communication 40%, 2 ECTS
All parts must be passed in order to complete the course.
More detailed assessment criteria are given in the Canvas learning platform.