Research and Development Methods
Are you starting to plan your thesis? In this course you will learn more about research and development methods in the field of safety, security and risk management.
- Application period: 09.06.2021-29.08.2021
- Date: 01.08.2021-31.12.2021
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Laurea Leppävaara
- Price: 75 €
This course has contact sessions almost once a week. Also Canvas digital learning platform is in use.
Contact session schedule
The student is able to
- choose the proper methods for development project and give reasons for these choices
- collect empirical data and analyse it
- interpret empirical results and make conclusions based on them
- recognizes the ethical point of view of the research and development work
- evaluate the reliability and validity of research
- apply the principles of research communication orally and in writing
- draw up and interpret research and development reports
Contact lessons throughout the course and virtual studies.
Almost every session there is a compulsory assignment that will be evaluated. There are also two individual assignments. The target is to prepare a student for the thesis process.
5 ECTS = approx. 135 hours of student work.
- This means approximately 10 hours of work every week (contact sessions etc. included)
The course is recommended for students in the Safety, Security and Risk Management study field.
One of the main ideas of this course is to help students to start planning their own thesis. It would be good if the student has a topic for the thesis beforehand the course begins. This would speed up the actual thesis process. You may also begin the course even though you do not have the topic yet in mind and you do not have to start the actual thesis during this course.
In the first contact session presence or notification of absence is required for accepting place in the course.
Material is listed in Canvas.
The course will be evaluated on a scale of 1 to 5 / fail.
Evaluation is based on assignments of the course:
- 50 % R&D plan
- 20 % Method assignment
- 30 % Weekly assignments