Effective Writing in English
Apply to this course if you want to improve your English writing skills!
Prerequisites: Please note that students, who take this course should be at least at level B2 in English language according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Application period: 09.06.2021 - 16.08.2021
- Date: 01.09.2021-12.12.2021
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Laurea Verkkokampus
- Price: 75 €
- The course is carried out in autumn 2021 (between September and December).
- The course is conducted as an online implementation through Canvas learning platform (no set lectures).
- The participants will be informed on practical arrangements in the beginning of the course (via Canvas learning platform).
The student is able to
- develop writing skills in general and academic contexts, including essays, summaries and reports
- write more accurately and with an awareness of the correct style and layout
- avoid plagiarism by paraphrasing and using sources in the appropriate manner
- diagnose and remedy personal weaknesses in writing ability
- The study method is independent study (written assignments & process writing) and teacher's individual feedback.
- The work space will be accessible by the beginning of the course (at the latest one week before the course starts).
- The language of instruction is English.
- Total workload is approximately 135 hours.
Prerequisites: students should be at least at level B2 in English language according to the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Study material in Canvas
- Related material:
- Bailey, S. 2011. Academic writing: a handbook for international students. 3rd edition. London: Routledge.
- Björk, L. & Räisänen, C. 1997. Academic writing. 2nd edition. Lund: Studentliteratur.
- McLean, S. 2010. Business English for Success. Arlington, Virginia: Saylor Academy.
- The evaluation is carried out on a scale from 0 (fail) to 5 and is based on the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages (the course is targeted at level C1).
- The evaluation principles of the course are published in Canvas work space.