Customer Experience in the Digital Era
Learn to describe the industrial trends and challenges which are shaping the next generation of services and customer experiences!
In order to sign up for this master's level course, you must have a previous Bachelor's degree or a Master's degree.
- Application period: 09.6.2021 - 18.10.2021
- Date: 01.11.2021-17.12.2021
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Laurea Leppävaara
- Price: 75 €
New technologies and new business models have revolutionised the way organisations interact with customers and soon artificial intelligence, robots and virtual reality will be a completely normal part of the customer experience alongside face to face engagements.
Managers will need to understand new ways to design customer experiences across the digital, physical and social ‘spaces’.
This course brings together designing and managing customer experience in the digital era, drawing on the latest work from the Cambridge Service Alliance. The course incorporates the practical use of frameworks and methods developed in Cambridge that have been tried and tested with over 350 companies worldwide.
This course includes four teaching sessions:
After completing this course, you will be able to describe the industrial trends and challenges which are shaping the next generation of services and customer experiences in the digital age.
This course helps you discover innovation in customer experience at the intersection of the digital, physical and social realms. You will learn to design customer journey emotions and touchpoints and to identify data sources and analytics to manage and monitor customer experiences. From this data, you will be able to generate insights from data analytics to manage customer loyalty and identify what it takes to delight your customers.
The course includes:
- 2 workshop days in the Laurea Leppävaara campus (in Espoo on 01.12.2021 and 02.12.2021)
- 2 online sessions in Zoom (on 10.12.2021 and 17.12.2021)
- Canvas e-learning environment
- Individual assignments and a group assignment
5 ects: 135 hours of work
Course tutor Dr Mohamed Zaki is the Deputy Director of the Cambridge Service Alliance at the University of Cambridge, a research centre that brings together the world’s leading firms and academics to address service challenges.
Mohamed’s research interests lie in the field of machine learning and its application on Digital Manufacturing and services. He uses an interdisciplinary approach of data science techniques to address a range of real organizations’ problems such as measuring and managing customer experience and customer loyalty. Other research interests include digital service transformation strategy and data-driven business models.
Mohamed’s research has been published in highly-ranked journals, Journal of Service Research, Journal Service Management, Journal of Business Research, International Journal of Operations and Production Management, PloS ONE, Journal of Production Planning & Control, Journal of Services Marketing as well as an edited book, book chapters and many conference articles.
Mohamed raised over £10 million from research council and industry to fund his research. Mohamed is a principle investigator, research manager and co-investigator in many UK research council projects (e.g. EPSRC, ESRC and Innovate UK) and industrial research projects sponsored by international organisations such as IBM, BAE Systems, Caterpillar, Rolls-Royce, Zoetis, Pearson, CEMEX, PWC and HCL technologies.
- Zaki, Mohamed, (2019), "Digital Transformation: Harnessing Digital Technologies for the Next Generation of Services" Journal of Services Marketing,33 (4), 429-435.
- Bolton, R. N., McColl-Kennedy, J. R., Cheung, L., Gallan, A., Orsingher, C., Witell, L., & Zaki, M. (2018). Customer experience challenges: bringing together digital, physical and social realms. Journal of Service Management, 29 (5), 776-808. McColl-Kennedy, J. R., Zaki, M., Lemon, K. N., Urmetzer, F. & Neely, A. (2019). “Gaining customer experience insights that matter”, Journal of Service Research, 21(1), 8-26.
- Holmlund, Maria, Vaerenbergh, Yves Van; Ciuchita, Robert; Ravald, Annika; Sarantopoulos, Panagiotis; Villarroel Ordenes, Francisco; Zaki, Mohamed (2020), “Customer Experience Management in the Age of Big Data Analytics: A Strategic Framework”, Journal of Business Research.
- Parasuraman, A; Ball, Joan; Aksoy, Lerzan; Keiningham, Timothy; Zaki, Mohamed (2020), "More than a Feeling?: Toward A Theory of Customer Delight", Journal of Service Management.
- Hartmann, Philipp Max, Mohamed Zaki, Niels Feldmann, and Andy Neely (2016), “Capturing Value from Big Data - A Taxonomy of Data-Driven Business Models Used by Start-Up Firms,” International Journal of Operations & Production Management, 36 (10), 1382-1406.
- Zaki, Mohamed, Bøe-lillegraven, T., and Andy Neely (2016). A Transition Towards a Data-Driven Business Model (DDBM): A Case Study of Nettavisen Online Newspaper Publishing. SAGE Publishing. Doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.4135/9781473970113.