Nature as a support for well-being and studies
Do you want to learn more about environmental psychology, positive psychology and outdoor experiential learning? This course is for you!
- Application period: 20.08.2021-29.08.2021
- Date: 01.09.2021-07.12.2021
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Laurea Hyvinkää
- Price: 75 €
6.9.2021 Preliminary assignment
10.9.2021 Orientation to course, compulsory attendance: first contact lessons
24.9.2021 Day excursion, compulsory attendance: building up group cohesion
8.10.2021 Plan for the activities demonstrating learning outcomes (1st retake 12.10.2021, 2nd retake 15.10.2021)
30.10.2021 Peer feedback from activity plan (1st retake 5.11.2021, 2nd retake 9.11.2021)
28-29.10.2021 Demonstrating learning outcomes during overnight nature excursion (target group the students of the study unit), compulsory attendance: evaluation of the learning outcomes.
8.11.2021 Learning diary ready (1st retake 22.11.2021 2nd retake 6.12.2021)
About the course
The course's knowledge base consists of environmental psychology, positive psychology and outdoor experiential learning.
The contact learning will mostly take place in different natural environments and therefore students should have sufficient equipment and clothing for outdoor settings. During the course we’ll have one overnight excursion together.
Students are able to
- identify the rejuvenating effects of nature and its capacity to enhance well-being
- make use of practical, nature based methods to help them strengthen their well-being and capacity to study
The independent learning includes individual, paired and/or small group assignments (preliminary assignment, learning diary, self-directed activities in nature).
What you’ve learned during your independent studies you’ll demonstrate in in the end of the course (nature setting, night excursion).
Instructions for the assignments will be available at Canvas workspace.
Contact learning 40 h
Independent learning total 95 h:
- Preliminary assignment 5 h
- Preparations for the excursions 10 h
- Plan for the activities demonstrating learning outcomes 10 h
- Peer feedback from activity plan 5 h
- Learning diary 38 h
- Self-directed nature activities 27 h
Students must be present in the first contact session or notify a teacher in charge if they cannot attend, to ensure the place at the course.
For the overnight excursion you need to have a sleeping bag and mat. Lightweight tents will also be needed, but they and sleeping gear (if you don’t have your own) can be borrowed from friends or rented from different suppliers. Laurea can’t unfortunately take care of the renting costs, so you’ll have to take charge on getting the right equipment and paying the rent, if needed.
- Hartig, T., Mitchell, R., de Vries, S. and Frumkin, H. 2014. Nature and health. Annual Review of Public Health, 35, 207-228.
- Pascha, M. 2020. PERMA Model: Your Scientific Theory of Happiness. Accessed 3 March 2020. https://positivepsychology.com/perma-model/
- VIA institute of character. 2020. Bring your character strengths to life & live more fully. Accessed 3 March 2020. https://www.viacharacter.org/
- Williams, F. 2017. The Nature Fix: Why Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier, and More Creative. New York, N.Y.: W.W. Norton & Company.
The course is evaluated in a scale pass/fail.