CERN BootCamp 2018
Multidisciplinary Master Studies
CERN BootCamp is an innovative and unique study concept for Master students. The concept is co-created by CERN, Laurea UAS, Metropolia UAS, Haaga-Helia UAS, University of Helsinki and companies. The focus of the studies is to solve demanding societal problems or challenges of the case companies by applying service design and design thinking methods and having a genuine human oriented, empathetic approach.
Experts of CERN and its interest groups have selected the major themes of the problems. Multidisciplinary Master student groups will define the specific problem or challenge they are going to solve during the CERN Bootcamp. Selected themes cover issues like:
- reducing plastic pollution in practice
- making climate change effects visual to consumers in purchase decision situations
- utilizing open data for example in health care
- minimizing the gap between employers´ needs and workforce´s skills and capabilities
CERN and local companies as well as universities offer facilitators and mentors for student groups.
After accomplishing CERN Bootcamp students will be able to apply service design approach and basic tools to design sustainable innovations. They will adopt a holistic approach to all aspects of service innovation and development and will be able to act as a developer in open innovation networks.
CERN Bootcamp consists of:
- kick-off days in Finland (Friday 18.5.2018 at 16.30-19.30, Laurea Leppävaara and Saturday 19.5.2018 at 9-16.30, Laurea Leppävaara),
- Bootcamp in CERN Idea Square, Geneva (11.-15.6.2018) and
- final event in Finland (Tuesday 19.6.2018 at 16.30-19.30, Haaga-Helia Pasila)
Pre-assignments as well as reflective post-assignments are also included to the studies. The extent of the studies is 10 ects.
Applying and selection of students
Application period is in January 2018 in universities (University of Helsinki, Aalto University and Tampere University of Technology) and in February 2018 in Laurea UAS, Metropolia UAS and Haaga-Helia UAS.
- Enrollment period for Laurea UAS, Metropolia UAS and Haaga-Helia UAS students 1.-16.2.2018. Application form opens in 1st of February and is active during the application period.
- Group discussions are held 1st of March (12-18, at Haaga-Helia Pasila)
- Selection of students latest 9th of March
You must agree with
your tutor on completing the course before applying. If you have
problems in registration, please contact email@example.com.
The selected student group will be 20-25 students. Major share of the positions in the group is dedicated for the three universities of applied sciences. The selection of students will be done based on the student's study achievement, completed credits, motivation letter and group discussion. No pre-requisites are demanded. If you are not a degree student, you cannot apply. The goal is to establish multidisciplinary and versatile groups and therefore all Master students from different fields are encouraged to apply.
Students´ travelling and accommodation will be organized and costs mainly covered by universities of applied sciences.