CERN BootCamp 2018
Multidisciplinary Master Studies
CERN BootCamp is an innovative and unique study concept for Master students. The concept is co-created by CERN, Laurea UAS, Metropolia UAS, Haaga-Helia UAS, University of Helsinki and companies. The focus of the studies is to solve demanding societal problems or challenges of the case companies by applying service design and design thinking methods and having a genuine human oriented, empathetic approach.
Experts of CERN and its interest groups have selected the major themes of the problems. Multidisciplinary Master student groups will define the specific problem or challenge they are going to solve during the CERN Bootcamp. Selected themes cover issues like:
- reducing plastic pollution in practice
- making climate change effects visual to consumers in purchase decision situations
- utilizing open data for example in health care
- minimizing the gap between employers´ needs and workforce´s skills and capabilities
CERN and local companies as well as universities offer facilitators and mentors for student groups.
After accomplishing CERN Bootcamp students will be able to apply service design approach and basic tools to design sustainable innovations. They will adopt a holistic approach to all aspects of service innovation and development and will be able to act as a developer in open innovation networks.
CERN Bootcamp consists of:
- kick-off days in Finland (Friday 18.5.2018 at 16.30-19.30, Laurea Leppävaara and Saturday 19.5.2018 at 9-16.30, Laurea Leppävaara),
- Bootcamp in CERN Idea Square, Geneva (11.-15.6.2018) and
- final event in Finland (Tuesday 19.6.2018 at 16.30-19.30, Haaga-Helia Pasila)
Pre-assignments as well as reflective post-assignments are also included to the studies. The extent of the studies is 10 ects.
Selection of students to CERN BootCamp 2018 has been done, thank you for all applicants!
Students´ travelling and accommodation will be organized and costs mainly covered by universities of applied sciences.