Exchange students - How to apply
Exchange programmes at Laurea are for students from Laurea’s international partner institutions. Students who wish to study at Laurea on exchange programmes - such as Erasmus, Nordplus or Bilateral Agreement - should turn to the international office at their home institution in order to be selected into a programme before filling in the application to Laurea.
1. Before filling in Laurea's application form for incoming exchange students you need to be nominated to student exchange by your home institution. A person responsible for international activities at your home institution needs to send the nomination information to the international planning officer of your field of study at Laurea.
2. After we have received your nomination information we will send you an email containing the instructions on how to fill in our electronic application form (this may take a few days). The email will come from the address solemove(at)solenovo.fi and the title will be “Instructions for filling in your Exchange Application to Laurea”.
3. Fill in the online application form by the given deadline during the application period. You will also be required to make a preliminary study plan on the application as well as to attach a motivation letter to your application.
You should write at least about the following matters in the Motivation letter:
- What kind of studies or working tasks have you planned to complete during your exchange?
- Are you applying mainly for studies in your own field or in some other field?
- What kind of competences will you develop during internship?
- What are your expectations regarding the exchange?
- Why are you applying for exchange?
- How will the exchange support your personal learning and career prospects?
NB! Deadline for studies in autumn term and academic year is May 15th. Deadline for studies in the spring term is October 30th.
4. After you have been accepted to Laurea you will be asked to make the actual Learning Agreement with the studies you want to do at Laurea. Look into the studies available at Laurea and fill in a Learning Agreement. If you have questions about the studies available, please contact your international planning officer at Laurea. After your Learning Agreement has been approved and signed at your home institution, send it to your international planning officer at Laurea. It is recommended that you keep a copy of the Learning Agreement for yourself.
5. Apply for accommodation and learn about living in the greater Helsinki region in the Living and accommodation section. Laurea does not have its own student dormitories. Furnished student accommodation for exchange students is available with HOAS, but needs to be applied for. Each exchange student is responsible for applying for his/her accommodation independently. NB! HOAS has only a limited number of apartments so fill in the application as soon as you can.
6. Check the schedule for studies at Laurea and arrange your arrival accordingly. Please note especially the Arrival Days (see the page 'Exchange students and trainees'), as the days have been selected to ensure that taking care of necessary practical issues is as smooth as possible.
7. Prepare for the exchange well. Read about Finnish culture and customs.
Studies suitable for exchange students
You can find the full curriculum and study offer with study unit descriptions in the SoleOPS system.
- Click "Search implementation plans".
- Choose the right term from the list and tick the box "Courses suitable for exchange students".
- Click "Search"
Searching for the courses for exchange students as a video.
You can also check the study offering from the Study Offering chart. Remember to read the instructions before using the chart. After choosing semester, you can find courses suitable fo exchange students clicking the charts drop down menu in the right.
Please notice that the study offer in SoleOps may not be completely up-to-date so you can only make a preliminary plan based on it. The study offer for the next academic term is usually available in SoleOPS at the end of March/October.
There are following studies in Laurea campuses:
you write down the study units to your Learning agreement it's important to
check that the schedules of the study units are not overlapping.
You can view study schedules from past/ongoing terms in Asio-system. Watch the instruction video or follow the instructions below how to check the schedules:
Go to Asio and click "Login without authentication".
In the main page select Student schedule
Select the semester.
From the list select the Exchange student group(s) for certain campus to find the study units.
Select the study units and implementations that you plan to take.
When the schedule is ready you can write the study units to your Learning agreement
Go to Asio and click "Login without authentication".
In the main page type “Exchange” in the search window.
Choose the link of the campus you are interested in.
You can browse the calendar using the top left hand corner calendar / clicking “Next week”.
Study methods and environments
Studies at Laurea include study units and working life projects which are executed according to Laurea’s learning model, Learning by Developing (LbD). In broad strokes this unique learning model means focusing on practical projects with real-life companies and organizations. Laurea´s LbD model emphasizes individual freedom and responsibility, equality, co-operation with organizations and teamwork. Study methods also include a variety of lectures, e-learning methods, group and individual assignments, presentations and exams.
Please see also a video about Lbd:
Laurea's grading system
|Laurea UAS grade||ECTS Grade|
|0 Fail||F or FX|
Certain examinations are given the grade H = Pass, S = Completed or 0 = Fail.