Innovative Pedagogical Approaches in Intercultural Learning
The aim of this Intensive Week with workshops is to share innovative pedagogical and methodological approaches that support intercultural learning. The idea is to explore innovative, experience-based learning that promotes intercultural encounters in classroom settings and public spaces.
This programme also provides the participants with a tailored toolbox for individual educational needs.
Themes of the Intensive Week:
- intercultural communication
- non-violent and emphatic communication
- multisensory pedagogy
- creative and experience-based learning
One of the innovative pedagogical approaches applied during the Intensive Week is multisensory pedagogy that has been developed at Laurea UAS as the Multisensory Space method since 2007. This method has been an integral part in several national level projects, and has also been adopted by various partner organizations both in Finland and abroad.
The Multisensory Space is an easily adaptable environment that activates different senses not by copying reality, but by creating a suggestive environment to facilitate learning and interaction. The space is based on the socio-cultural approach which emphasizes social interaction between the learner, other actors and the environment. As a method, it emphasizes the process of creating shared understanding and learning.
The programme consists of
- Developing a personalized toolbox of intercultural communication, participatory and multisensory methods based on different theoretical approaches
- Study visits and socialising
- Experiencing and applying the Multisensory Space Method
- Learning Café: sharing of what has been learnt and final outcomes
Upon completion of the workshop the participants will be able to:
- Use and co-create participatory and experience-based learning environments
- Facilitate multisensory intercultural encounters
- Provide basic participatory frameworks for dealing with intercultural conflict situations
- Encourage and facilitate encounters using participatory methods within the local communities
- Utilize a variety of tools tailored to their own needs
The Intensive Week is meant for:
- All educational professionals from kindergarten to higher education levels
- Partnership organisations and companies both in Finland and abroad
- Students from various fields with an interest in developing their own intercultural working methods
- Possibility to attend the workshop as Erasmus teacher exchange
Price 890 € (VAT 0 %)
The workshop is offered to a minimum of 15 and to a maximum of 20 participants. This price includes workshops, lectures, study visits and additional materials plus refreshments during coffee breaks. This price excludes accommodation and transportation but with help of ours the costs of them are approximately from 480 € for each participant (at the hostel level and with student meals)
Time and programme
The workshop will take place from 6 th of November to 10 th of November 2017 in Laurea University of Applied Sciences, Ratatie 22, 01300 Vantaa, Finland. A full schedule will be sent closer to the event once you have registered.
The last day of registration is 6th of October.
The preliminary programme
Monday, 6th of November, at 10 am - 4 pm
Registration and introduction tothe Intensive week
Theme: Welcome to the Multisensory Space: getting to know each other
Theoretical Background of Multisensory Pedagogy
Get together - evening
Creative and experience-based learning
Wednesday, 8th of November, at 9 am - 4 pm
Theme: Non-violent and emphatic communication
Thursday, 9th of November, at 9 am - 6 pm
Theme: Intercultural encounters
Friday, 10th of November, at 9 am - 2 pm
Learning Cafe with learning outcomes
Reflection and feedback
Certificates for the participants