Kehä - Energian ja ravinteiden kierrätyksen uudet mahdollisuudet vesihuollossa
The main objective of the project Kehä was to enhance the recycling and re-use of energy and/or nutrients in municipal and agricultural water service processes and businesses in an economically and environmentally sensible way.
- Implementation date9/1/2016 - 11/30/2018
- FunderEAKR 2014-2020
- Research areaService design and business models
- Project typeKansallinen TKI
The project considers both networked approaches and site or process-related approaches to develop networked procedures that support technical, economical and sustainable development in municipal and agricultural water supply.
The objective is to reduce the use of imported nutrients and energy in relation to the volume of production. The project aims to identify and develop the water treatment process control, environmental issues, appropriate spatial data management and sophisticated digital information on water solutions, instrument clusters and networked operating models. The project also improves the abilities of Finnish players in the sector to grow their export activities.
The project utilizes the potential for added value of water supply. The project will accelerate and support the transition into blue energy and bio-economy, enhance the implementation of resource wise solutions in water supply, improve the cost efficiency of using nutrients and energy in water supply, improve the waste water treatment ratio and provide comparable data for the process, environmental effects and spatial data of water supply.
The immediate results of the project include e.g.
- pilots of nutrients and energy recycling with partner organizations, practical modeling of processes,
- outlining the future operating models,
- monitoring and optimization of water supply processes,
- development proposals for legislation,
- mapping the export potential of the sector, actors in the field
- construction of international co-operation network for the actors in the industry as well as a
- project publication containing articles by experts.