Developing Intercultural Competences
Gain cross-cultural knowledge and learn to work effectively in multicultural teams and work environments.
- Target audience: Anyone interested in developing intercultural competences
- Application period: 25.05.2020 - 02.08.2020
- Date: 01.09.2020 - 11.12.2020
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Online
- Price: 75 €
The student is able to:
- understand and interpret meanings of different cultural behaviors and phenomena
- apply cross-cultural knowledge to improve intercultural encounters
- work effectively in multicultural teams and work environments
- resolve intercultural conflicts in a professional manner
The study unit is a fully online study in an asynchronous mode (no attendance required on specific times. The learning environment is Laurea Canvas. The study unit includes a R&D based project for a real work-life partner. Counselling and communication in Canvas.
The learning modules are as follows:
- Basic concepts for culture-related studies
- Approaches to culture
- Critical incidents and conflict management
- Intercultural competence
Materials and literature
Articles and other reading material will be provided in Canvas platform.
There will be weekly assignments during weeks 36 - 50. Allocate weekly around 7-10 hours in your calendar for the online assignments to be done individually or as team work.
All assignments need to be completed in order to pass the study unit. Half of the assignments are graded with pass/fail, half of them are graded with the scale 0 - 5.