Project Management and Communication
Learn project management and communication skills required in UAS -studies! This course is compulsory in Safety, Security and Risk Management Degree Programme.
- Application period: 09.06.2021-29.08.2021
- Date: 01.08.2021-31.12.2021
- Scope: 5 ECTS
- Location: Laurea Leppävaara
- Price: 75 €
This course has contact sessions in Leppävaara campus and also Canvas digital learning platform is in use.
The exam dates are offered during the contact sessions.
- Project management exam
- Office exam
- See Canvas for more details
Contact session schedule
The student is able to
- plan, implement and evaluate a practical project in multidisciplinary cooperation
- work in an appropriate way in multicultural organisations and networks
- acquire and use information to support development, and use ICT tools
- communicate appropriately and in a goal-oriented way in the communication and documenting situations required by the project
During the course students will familiarise themselves with the basic principles of project management and receive guidance on communication requirements and tools for carrying out academic and project-related work.
The course contains work on the following topic areas:
- Research and development in academic projects
- Project planning, scheduling and risk management
- Teamwork and collaboration
- ICT tools for project management and documentation
- Preparing project-related communications (project plan, project report and presentation)
- Academic writing (referencing, style and tone, structure and organisation
5 ECTS = approx. 135 hours of work.
A combination of contact lessons and independent study.
The project management part of the course is linked to work done on another course.
Learning materials are provided in Canvas.
Also the following works will be consulted:
- Bailey, S. 2011. Academic writing: a handbook for international students. 3rd edition. London: Routledge.
- Dawson, C. 2009. Projects in computing and information systems. 2nd edition. Harlow: Addison-Wesley.
- Lock, D. 2013. Naked Project Management: the bare facts. Gower.
- Ojasalo, K., Moilanen, T. & Ritalahti, J. 2009. Research-oriented approach. Partially translated from: Kehittämistyön menetelmät – Uudenlaista osaamista liiketoimintaan. Helsinki: WSOY.
The course will be evaluated on a scale 1 -5 / fail. More specific criteria are given in the workspace of the course.