You will learn to describe how value is created for the customers through service design. You will also learn to plan, implement and evaluate a project using service design methods!
- Target audience: people who are interested about service design
- Application period: 31.3.2021-18.4.2021
- Date: 1.5.2021-31.8.2021
- Scope: 10 ECTS
- Location: Online
- Price: 150 €
The student is able to
- describe how value is createdfor the customers through service
- recognize the essence of Service Design thinking and methods
- plan, implement and evaluate a Service Design projectusing service design methods
- apply creative problem-solving and develop working methods individually and in teams
- foster entrepreneurship through service design
ContentThe study unit will consist of two parts: The theory Part 1 (3 ects) and the project Part 2 (7 ects).
Part 1 needs to be completed before starting the Part 2.
Part 1 (Theory) will be implemented fully online during 3.5-30.5.2021
The studies consist mostly of self-paced and individual assignments online.
Part 2 (Project) is an intensive practice-based work in teams during 220.127.116.11.2021
The workshop days in Zoom will be held daily at 10 - 16 as follows:
- 07.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Orientation, project kick-off, teaming
- 08.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Orientation, project kick-off, teaming
- 14.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Project sprint
- 15.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Project sprint
- 16.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Project sprint
- 17.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Project sprint
- 18.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Project sprint
- 22.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Pitch rehearsals, final presentations for the project commisioner
- 23.06.2021 10.00 - 16.00 Pitch rehearsals, final presentations for the project commisioner
Working in teams during 9.6.-13.6. Customer interviews and insight
Literature and materials
- Stickdorn, M., Lawrence, A. and Hormess, M., Schneider, J. 2018.This is service design doing : applying service design thinking in the real world : a practitioner's handbook. Canada: O'Reilly.
- Ebook: https://laurea.finna.fi/Search/Results?lookfor=this+is+service+design+doing&type=AllFields
- Knapp, J., Zeratsky, J. & Kowitz, B. 2016. Sprint: How to Solve Big Problems and test new ideas in Just Five Days. New York: Simon & Schuster Paperbacks.
The course will be evaluated on a scale of 1 to 5 / fail.
The final grade is based on the following:
- THEORY PART
Individual assignments, Quizzes and other individual tasks in Canvas, scale 1-5
- PROJECT SECTION
Team assignment: service concept and service design portfolio, scale 1-5
Self- and peer assessment, instructor assessment.